After sewing the reversible bag, I thought of making something useful with the scraps. The leftover cutout for the bag handle gave me an idea to make this pencil case. If you have made verypurpleperson's reversible bag & still have the scraps lying around, why not try out this simple tutorial.
- fabric scraps
- lightweight fusible interfacing
- 3/4" velcro tape
- button (optional)
- ric rac (optional)
2. You will need 4 fabric cutouts of pattern A & 2 of pattern B. From lightweight interfacing, cut 4 of pattern A & 2 of pattern B.
3. Press interfacing onto the back of each fabric with an iron.
4. Cut velcro tape measuring 1 1/2" in lenght. Position the tape to the inside flap & the front fabric. Edge stitch the tape to the fabric. Embellish the front part of the fabric as you wish. I sew a bear button on the front flap & added ric racs on the front plaid fabric.
5. Arrange your fabrics just like the picture above (front flap with back side fabric & inside flap with inside lining). Place flap B on top of fabric A with right sides together.
6. Sew along the top edges using a 1/4" seam allowance.
7. Now work with the remaining 2 cut outs. With right sides together, align front side fabric to inside lining. Sew along the top edges (1/4" seam allowance).
8. Turn right side out & press. Topstitch along the top edges. This is the front part.
9. Place the sewn front part on top of the inside lining & inside flap.
10. Pin together raw edges. Sew together along edges using less than 1/4" seam allowance.
11. Place the back side fabric & front flap on top of the sewn front side fabric (with right sides together). Pin in place.
12. Stitch along the edges using 1/4" seam allowance. Leave a 3" opening for turning at top of the flap.
13. Turn right side out through opening on flap.
14. Fold under & pin together raw edges of opening.
15. Sew the opening closed with a slip stitch. Fold & press the flap over pencil case front. Now you can fill your pencil case with your favourite stationery.
The ric rac was sewn only on both ends so I can slip in notes or cards :)
Happy sewing everyone!